May 09 2021
8:00am - 5:00pm
Many people in Canada express their gratitude towards mothers and mother figures on Mother’s Day. Mother figures may include step-mothers, mothers-in-law, guardians (eg. foster parents), and family friends. It is the time for people to thank mothers and mother figures who took the time care for them.
Some Mother's Day Trivia:
1. Mothers day, in its modern form, was first celebrated in 1914! This occurred after a tireless campaign by a woman named Anna Jarvis, who, while having no children of her own, wanted to honour her mother's wishes - having a day just for moms!
2. Despite this, the origins of ‘Mothering Sunday’ date back to the 16th century. It started as a date where everyone would have a day off of work, and would have time to spend together as a family and go to church. It became commonplace for children to pick flowers to give to their mothers on this day and over time, it became a tradition to give gifts to your mother on mothering Sunday.
3. Talking of flowers - one of the traditional mother's day flowers is carnations. Pink and red flowers are generally given as gifts to a living mother, while white is used to honour a mother who is no longer with us.
4. Approximately one quarter of flowers bought every year are bought around mother's day!
5. Finally… approximately 122 million phone calls are made to mothers on mothers day, in the US alone! Imagine how many calls that is throughout the whole world!